Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welcome Spring!

Spring has been slowly emerging over the last few weeks. The end of a long, cold winter and the start of a brand new beautiful season. This year, more than most, I have been eagerly awaiting its arrival and examining the progress almost daily. Which tree will begin to flower first? How long will it take for the forsythia to fill out with brilliant yellow? When will my garden herbs become full and fragrant enough to add to my spring salads?







Spring is a time for new beginnings. I love new beginnings! I think my hobbies reflect this. Every new season brings new experiences and new opportunities. My grocery runs have netted, orzo and couscous for great spring salads. I have begun to bring in fresh spinach, asparagus, tomatoes and chicken for the grill. I am looking for snippets of time to head to the botanical gardens to snap photos of new spring growth.



Here is a great spring recipe for that has become a favorite in our household. Try it this weekend with some grilled chicken or salmon...



ORZO SPINACH SALAD

1 lb. orzo pasta, cooked according to package instructions

1/2 red onion, finely chopped

1 handful fresh basil, coarsely chopped

1/2-3/4 package fresh spinach leaves, coarsely torn

1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped

8 oz. crumbled feta cheese

2 cloves garlic, chopped


DRESSING:

3/4 c. fresh lemon juice

1 TB. sugar

1 1/4 c. olive oil

salt and pepper to taste


Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate at least 1-2 hours to meld flavors. ENJOY!








I enjoy living in an area where I can enjoy the changing seasons. As beautiful as some warm climates are, I would miss this quarterly change. I welcome the chance to start anew four times a year. Soon, I will be embracing shorts and flip flops. I will spend long, lazy days at the lake and drink in the smell of suncreen. Then the crisp cool evenings of fall will creep in with colorful leaves and the scent of bonfire in the air.




But for now, I am happy to welcome spring pushing forward out of the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it's beautiful! Good job, you! I accidently signed in twice---still trying to get used to this, too. I need to check out that recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I hope to be able to offer some great recipes etc. Hope you try it soon. Thanks for the support!

    ReplyDelete