Thursday, April 29, 2010

The More Things Change...The More They Stay The Same

This is just a random musing...call it my Thursday thought.

Why does it seem that there are things, situations, etc. in life that are continually changing but without problem resolution? Here is the example that led to this random thought today.

Today is trash day. So what? "Why is that a big deal", you may be thinking.

In the xx years I have owned a home, I have never had a great experience with trash day. First we had the bags that were set out at the curb the night before. These were often torn into by dogs, cats, cougars....I don't know, but inevitably on trash morning, the trash was strewn all over the street and yard. The answer seemed simple, set out the trash in the morning. Now, I don't know how it works in your neighborhood, but I never know when trash collection will be taking place. Sometimes, the trash will sit until dark...of course in that case the cougars have all day to feast on the contents of my garbage.

Other days, I swear it is the middle of the night, and we begin to hear the rumblings and Beep! Beep! Beep! You know what I mean. DH and I leap from the bed and scramble out through the garage, barely dressed, to lug the bags to the end of the driveway. Sometimes I think the garbage collectors pull this stunt just to see all of us running from our homes half naked with bags in tow. My mother's admonishment about wearing appropriate clothing to bed, "Just in case there is a house fire" runs through my head.

The benefit of the bags were that you could hide anything in them. Now before you judge, I stive to be green as much as anyone. BUT....sometimes you just have to throw things away! McDonalds toys, children's artwork and schoolwork (GASP! Not ALL of it! ), Hubby's "More Cowbell" T-shirt with Will Farrell on the front...you get the picture! I have become more careful since throwing out a pair of muddy old football cleats in the back of DH's closet. Turns out, they were from a particularly stunning high school performance where he claimed the school record for the number of yards rushed...YEP...his nameplate is still up at the school!

Now the bags could be placed in a can, however...Trash Day=Windiest Day of the Week Day! Hence, the flying trash can lid. These lids pose a hazard to cars, windows and small people standing at the school bus stop. If the lid was not properly sealed by the homeowner, the contents of their can could end up a mile away or in the next door neighbor's lawn. "Looks like the Smiths like their Bud Light!" Even if the lid was properly closed when set out, the garbage collectors do not care about order. I have spent mornings watching them pull the lids off, dump the trash, and then throw the lid into the yard, driveway, and even the street. Once, my lid was thrown into the truck by mistake. I happened to be watching, Yes...sometimes I stalk the garbage collectors. He tossed the bags and lid together into the compactor and then, as if realizing his error, he looked around and shrugged! "Not my problem!" he seemed to say. Therefore, trash day became the one day of the week for excercise (chasing the lids and trash) and conversation with neighbors..."Is this your lid?" "Nope...looks like the Smith's" "No, their lid is green. The black one goes to the Martins." "Looks like the Clarks had a big party last night!" You get the idea.

Finally, the city came up with a solution...the fancy cart style can with attached lid that can be lifted by a truck. The issue with this is the letter of rules that came with the cart. The cart may only be lifted by the truck. Therefore, no garbage collector will actually lift a cart, or trash bag. All trash must be placed in the cart. Sounds easy right? In a family of five, three being teenagers, we have a LOT of weekly trash. We tried testing this rule by putting one extra bag of garbage right beside the cart. I lurked with my cup of coffee on trash day. YEP...they were right. Not one "trash collector" will touch a bag of garbage set outside the cart. They have the guy who runs the truck and "lifts" the cart into the back and then they have the guy who stands beside the truck with his arms crossed "supervising" the lifting of the cart. My measly one bag of garbage sitting next to the cart remained exactly as placed.

This has led to a very funny practice in the neighborhood. Sometimes you can see someone look around and then take an extra bag of garbage to their neighbor's cart, furtively lift the lid and dump it in. Well, the Smith's are empty nesters...they don't use all their cart space. What will it hurt if my trash mingles with theirs? I can only imagine at the stroke of midnight the black yoga pants and hoodies come out as my neighbors look for a semi-empty cart in which to stow their extra bags. Now, I live in a neighborhood that has a famously uptight HOA. This practice of cart dumping has actually led to a letter circulated to all homeowners that this practice will not be tolerated. The fact that in a meeting, this issue was discussed and a formal letter circulated makes me chuckle!

Of course the next logical solution is to pile as many bags on top of the cart as possible. This has become a weekly contest for my DH and DS as the trash duty belongs to them. They push and shove and plot to see how many bags they can fit and still lower the lid on top of the bags (because that is the rule---they have to fit with the lid "on") I think they are up to 6 bags perched precariously on top. The trick here is to be able to stack all of these bags and not have your cart topple with the weight. If it topples, the trash is blown all over the neighborhood again.

Like I said before...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Now, I have to run, literally. My pizza boxes from last night are headed to the Martins...SIGH!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I think we must have the same trash company you do! The same thing happens down here, and they will NOT take anything "extra"! Do you have to pay for extra bags you put out next to your can, because we sure do. We get little stickers every Dec. to place on our bags, sort of our " get out of jail free" card, and boy, come Dec. 26, we are slapping those suckers on all the bags we fill up! This had me laughing out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Same system. However, they really make it difficult to find and get those little freebie stickers...they don't send them to us. Thanks for your comments my friend! Soon I will hopefully have some more followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garbage day, oh how I hate garbage day! We're lucky we don't have that fancy garbage collection, but we do live in the country. There is no way the garbage cans can be put out the night before. If the dogs don't tip them over, then it's the raccoons or the possums or the foxes or the wild boars. Same as you, the trash men like to surprise us with their hours, shaking it up every week.

    Here's my trash fixation: Why do we have more trash than our neighbors who also have 3 kids? They have half a can of trash every dang time. I know, because I lift the lid and check it out. I have 3, 3 trash cans. I just don't understand how this can be possible?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Joann! Maybe your neighbor is sneaking it into someone else's can! ;0 I do understand though. I even rent a large recycle bin from the city that is the same size as the garbage can and it is full each week. I don't have room in the garage for one more can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,Katie from Katie's Dailies is a dear friend of mine and she pointed me in your direction! Any friend of Katie's is a friend of mine ;o) So of course I'll follow you!

    Wow, we are so darn lucky in our neighborhood when it comes to trash and recycling collection. We have trash pick up twice a week and they'll take ANYTHING and as much as you want. We do have those huge rolling cans from the trash company, but they'll empty any sort of can and take any amount of trash left on the curb. We have recycling pick-up once a week and they have an impressive list of recyclables. The trash company will even take something like a dishwasher for free as long as you call ahead. Once my dh put out our old gas fireplace along with the brick front!!! Yes, a huge fireplace because we replaced it with a new one. We waited for the trash truck to come and he ran out and paid the guy $50 to take it and helped him throw it in the back of the truck. No problem. Oh, and sometimes my neighbor calls me in the evening and asks if I have room in my can because she only has one bag that time...or because she's going on vacation and can't bring her can back in. I've told her she doesn't need to call...if I see her throwing something in my can it's fine by me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Molly,

    Glad to have you on board! Katie is such a gem! You are lucky to call her friend. I am so jealous that your trash collection is so nice. I have so much stuff piling up in my basement that I would love to get rid of but can't seem to make it work.

    Thanks for following me! I will check out your blog too!

    ReplyDelete